What to do before your call for help
So, you have an electronic device and it is working well when all of a sudden it stops, screen goes black, what should you do before panic sets in?
First things first, different devices have different ways to reset, power on and fix random issues you may experience with it. There is no way to cover ALL tips today, but we can help you with the basics before you call your local IT repairer.
1. Try powering on your device again
2. If the screen has gone black and the light is still showing, then hold down the power button for 20 – 30 seconds. This will ensure it has totally shut down. Once it has done this then try and turn it back on.
3. If the screen is still black, we suggest you plug in your power supply for a while before trying to power on again. You may have run the battery completely flat.
4. If it is a portable device you could try taking the battery out and in again, some of your devices may have a reset hole on the bottom of the device to allow you to reset your internal battery.
5. If you are unable to get your device to turn on or boot up again call your IT repairer to book it in for a check-up/repair.
6. If your device powers on and all seems ok – awesome. We recommend you check to see if there are any updates for your device and run those. Make sure you stay connected to power to make sure it charges up fully too.
7. If you are running a Windows 10 device, we recommend that you click on your start menu and select ‘Restart’ – this will help clear your device and apply any pending software updates, which may resolve the issue you are having with your computer.
If you have been working on your computer and it freezes or gets a blue screen, try the steps above. If you are going to call for tech support, then make sure you are in front of your computer and have carried out the steps above first.